Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Mike and Lauren

Intelligent. Intentional. Intense.

McGarrys are kindred spirits, though not in our small group. We met through Mike's dad and mom, Mike Sr. and Peg, who were in on our initial interview process to come to WCH. Sharp parents. And sharp kids (and kids-in-law). I remember the first time I saw Mike and Lauren. They were standing in the perimeter of the Atrium after service, Mike was holding their oldest son, Thane. Vibrant, smiling, welcoming. I thought, Boy, I like these guys.

At the time they were living way out in West Valley, a 45-minute drive into the hill country. Both Cornell grads, Mike was working in environmental engineering and Lauren was using her child development degree (masters as well) in her home. One snowy, bright New Year's Day Matt and I drove out to spend the day getting to know them. We were fused on the spot as friends of similar values and purpose - primarily that of marriage and home preservation. They were so articulate and understanding of the dynamics between men and women, the part personality plays into a marriage, the need for personal responsibility... real relational heavyweights with HIGH relational IQ. They journeyed with us through the transformation of DINKS to SAHM with a newborn. They didn't "vote me off the motherhood island" when they learned of my struggle. Mike and Lauren were actually the first ones to hear that we were pregnant with Izak, the first ones to see my tears of shock and submission and they laid their hands on us and prayed for this new season. Matt invited Mike golfing this year, and would come home so winded and sore -- from laughing!! Mike was an advisor for Matt during the pursuit of a lead pastor position, offering words of encouragement and reflection that only a real friend could. Still, following the announcement of resignation Mike's heart broke and he left us the most tender voice mail of a friend who would be sorely missing us... . Lauren and I have shared pregnancies, mothering, more pregnancies, lunch, thoughts, accountability. Her ability to get to the heart of the matter very quickly and precisely is a relief to me. I'm good at small talk, but sometimes it's a smokescreen so that I don't have to divulge real information. Lauren keeps me honest. They joined us over the last two and a half years for the all-day marriage seminar that Matt does for the engaged couples in our church, though it was always a great time to tweak up my own marriage. And I could go on and on...

Mike and Lauren, your presence has so enriched Matt's and my lives. Thank you for coming alongside us, offering the precious treasure of your friendship. I pray you'll continue to see fruits as you labor for the hearts and souls of young families at WCH. Blessings. XO

No comments: