Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Audrey and Larry

Aud and Lar, some of my earliest friends at WCH. They've know us since our first week there, being the second longest married couple in our honeymoon connection class (the longest being Matt and me). They were high school sweethearts who married on the weekend of the Erie County Fair, a time when the town is buzzing with visitors.

Larry has this no-holds-barred honesty, an approach to truth that I don't think I've ever encountered before. He does the right thing because it's right, not because it's popular. He came to the Lord in high school after hearing Frank Reich's testimony (famous Bills quarterback) and has such a passion for reaching youth for Jesus. He has been a real friend to Matt, no hidden agenda or unrealistic expectations, but a commitment to Matt as a brother in Christ. Aud is a real Mother Earth. I'd never thought much about natural childbirth, but she was so convincing that we (hubs and wives) ended up taking Bradley together during our first pregnancies. We both managed to have babies without pain medicine or episiotomies. Aud is just so thoughtful, I love to get her take on things because I think our thoughts start out in similar places due to our life experiences (Aud also has a special-needs sister). The other night at dinner I was able to finally tell her that I would never be the mom I am today if I hadn't known her. There's a pretty big vein of "acceptable parenting" in the Christian subculture - the right books, disciplines and theories. Audrey has the ability to discriminate what is truth and what is opinion better than me. She has helped me re-think what and why of what I want to do as a mom.

It's a timeless friendship. I value the honesty and godliness of this couple, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I cannot imagine being without them...

No comments: