Thursday, January 13, 2005

66 Degrees

You heard me, sixty-six degrees Fahrenheit. In other words, it's a lovely May day outside. The snow is completely gone, the grass is green. The trees look like they want to bud. It's just awesome. I welcome these breaks amidst the grey Buffalo winter months. We're supposed to get a lake-effect snow storm over the next few days, but for now - it's beautiful. The kids and I were out pruning the bushes and raking, getting things ready for the Farrells. Then we went for a walk down South Creek Road and saw our horses, the dogs, some chickens and a rooster. Today, I must admit, I cried thinking about leaving my little home. Springtime is a special season, full of flower dreams, weeding, preparing the ground for the perennials to push through. Today reminded me of what I'll be missing. I have a two-acre backyard, complete with fire pit, fruit trees, rhubarb -- and it's bordered by strawberry fields. I have a killer farmers market, Braymiller's, 30-seconds down the road where I can buy anything. In my more emotional moments I think, "What am I going to do?!"

But I'm so aware of the precision of God's timing. How He knew that we'd be outgrowing our home with two babies, that Matt would be pushing out the edges of his job description at WCH, that we would be mature enough at this exact moment in history to follow His call to NWCC. The change came upon us so suddenly, yet with the unpredictable joy and excitement of a spring day in January.

We continue to walk towards the end of our time in Hamburg. 12 days. So many good friends, good moments, points of enlightenment for me as I continue to learn new things about healthy friendships. Precious moments that outweigh the ungraceful, tactless, low relational behavior exhibited by some. Tender times of remembering reconciliation, the end of bitterness, the freedom to change for the better. And on this exquisite day I cannot escape the thought that He has made, and continues to make me, into someone new.

No comments: