Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Goodbye, Roswell

Yesterday concluded my work at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. It's been such a privilege to serve the oncology community, doctors and patients alike. As you may know, I worked four out of the last six days. It was a chance to save up a little extra money for the big move in 21 days. I really enjoyed it, but couldn't get over leaving the kids everyday. I don't know how moms who work full time do it!

My co-workers bought me lunch and got me a farewell cake. It was really sweet. A bunch of the docs made a point to say goodbye and other kind words. One particular doc who has been friendly towards me (i.e. he says, "Take it from your big brother..." and as offered to even the score with any grumpy surgeons who give me a rough time) was bowled over to find out that we were moving. (Warning: this next part will be inappropriate in some people's eyes. Just skip to the next paragraph.... you've been warned!) His first response was, "B*tch! I really like you. You should stay!" I was a little startled by the spontaneity of his reaction, but we continued to talk and he guessed that it was my husband's job that called us away... "What does he do?" "Oh, he's a pastor." "Oh? Sorry about the b*tch comment." I about died laughing. Matt got a real kick out of it too. :)

So last night Matt took me out to dinner to celebrate my last day of work (for a little bit, anyway). When we got home he was complaining of general yuck, I wasn't feeling too hot either, but attributed it to fatigue. I slept on the couch, just in case. Well, today it appears that he has the flu. Fever, N/V, achey, et al. Poor guy. I'm fine so far and the kids are okay, except for some pretty intense teething pain that kept Libby up from 11-12:30 last night.

So we'll be resting today... as much as you can with little ones.

No comments: