Monday, February 28, 2005

Long Weekend

Well, the kids and I stayed home from church this weekend. We had booger extravaganza! They had temps, fever (Lib's was the highest at 101.9), and Libby puked once for good ole' times' sake. (I've managed to catch it too.) Sunday afternoon I was racing around trying to find an acute care center... the wait was 3.5 hours. I figured, Forget it and I'll take my chances. I came home crying, "I wanna go back to Hamburg!" I was able to call my NY physician and get some advice from the NP on call. They said they'd be there for me if I needed anything and they meant it. Thank God.

Colleen came over and gave me a much-needed hand with the kids from 4-7p. That time of night is brutal with the kids and Matt had to be back at church by 4p. So without her I would've been fried. Thanks again, Colleen.

I feel super homesick lately... wanna go home. Can't. And overall, it's okay. But this last week was a killer. I've been making good use of our free long-distance.

My mom, bless her heart, has become a secondary resident of the hospital in Bay City watching over my grandma. The week after we move here Grandma got pneumonia, they didn't think she would make it... but that 96 year-old is resilient! She was home after a week and then had to go BACK in for angina that nitro didn't help. My mom is a real inspiration to me. She has cared for her MIL like she was her own. I am pleased to be able to consult with Mom and Dad re: end of life stuff, DNR's, Hospice, etc.. They are doing right by Gram every step of the way.

I stayed up and watched 3/4 of the Oscar's, taped the end and watched it today. I was so moved by Jamie Foxx's acceptance speech, his tribute to his grandmother. I'm going to guess that she may have been his primary parent. He did right by her. And the glass ceiling for the African-American actor seems to be cracking... finally.

No comments: