Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Alone tonight

Matthew is at church for the monthly elders' party. He left at 5p, so the kids and I were on our own for the first time in a long time. I managed baths and bedtime pretty well. Mini Paul Hamm (Izak) didn't do too many vault exercises before quieting down, and the girl was in bed at 6:30p. Seven o'clock and I got to curl up to watch NCIS (an advantage to being in a different time zone... my favorite shows are all earlier!). Right now I'm about two feet from the fireplace, enjoying my fake crackling log. I'm remembering the fantastic cherry wood that we left back in Hamburg. What a beautiful scent it had. Still, this is mighty cozy. Just missing my man... and a good foot massage.

Slowly things are beginning to find a home. The toaster, towels, blankets. Our bedroom looks like a tornado hit it. I laugh with Matt.. we need things to pack things in that we just unpacked, a.k.a. dressers and whatnot. I'm so thankful for the gorgeous furniture that my in-laws sent. We'd really be rambling around here without their donation.

Sunday afternoon the ladies of the church had a welcome luncheon for me. (Hamburg friends, stop your laughing right now.) I tried to ease my own self-consciousness at the onset of the sharing time by saying that I had been waiting and watching for the "real" pastor's wife to come in. Someone else joked, "So are we." The ladies were great talkers, sharing information based on a list of questions that I presented. Name, place of birth, family, husband's occupation, your occupation, hobbies. It was great. They listened well and stayed engaged, and joked with one another. Some really, really funny stuff. Other things were shared with a great sense of deliberateness, vulnerability. Thank you for giving me a small snapshot into your lives. I will treasure that very special time... and Su-Jin, I ate all my noodles in one day! LOL You all would love my senior's wife from Hamburg, very funny, very outgoing, and very seasoned. Very articulate. Very bright.

The kids are beautiful, my joys. Libby has cut her two lower teeth. She's quite proud of the fact, and demands any table food she sees. Izak is figuring out how to undress himself. He began singing this morning at 6:21a. He became rather raucous after about twenty minutes, so I went in to pull him. I found him standing totally naked, his footie jammies in the crib next to him, zipped up, with his night diaper still inside. And a little pee stream over the rail onto the carpet. Sure hope it's a Stainmaster.
--------------------------------

P.S. Can anyone help me remove these ANNOYING smart tags from my blog. I've run Ad-Aware and Spybot... can't seem to shake them!!

No comments: