Thursday, February 24, 2005

'Tis So Sweet

When Izak was born I received many beautiful gifts. The pastor's first child in a church of 2,000 warranted a lot of attention! One of my favorite things was, and still is, a CD that was made for the McCaughey Septuplets called Sweet Dreams. I have a distinct memory associated with it. It was an October night. I was curled up in front of our fireplace with my newborn son, trying to get my mind around the idea that my life had just been irrevocably changed, trying to reconcile the unknown future with the fact that I was now responsible for not only myself, but the little bundle of flesh. I had the CD playing softly. It is a compilation CD, so I recognized many of the artists' voices. But then came a male/female duet that I couldn't place. They were singing the old hymn "'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus. Just to take Him at His word. Just to rest upon His promise. Just to know 'Thus saith the Lord.'" Only acoustic backup and two plain, understated voices. I searched around for the case, pulled out the insert. "Jesus, Jesus, how I trust you! How I've proved you over and over! Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, O for grace to trust you more." I scanned the list... there was the song, who were the singers? And when I saw their names I burst into tears. Kenny and Bobbi McCaughey. Here were two parents of septuplets, humbly recording the words that their hearts and lives were exhibiting every day. Trust Jesus. No matter how big, no matter how small, no matter how many. It is so sweet to trust Him.

Parents have opportunities to spur one another on towards good deeds in their homes. Do we take the moments and encourage each other? Or do we sink to the lowest common denominator of grumbling and whining? The gift of the unknown, with the assurance that our Heavenly Father is already there, is a pivotal part of the faith we must remind one another about. He is good, he is faithful, and what a privilege to learn to trust Him more.

1 comment:

IndyMom said...

Thanks for the reminder to trust in Jesus. One of my favorite songs is "Because He Lives." Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.