Thursday, August 11, 2005

A run down

I'm not really about blogging on events, but lately that seems to be the crux of things. So I suppose it's fair to do a bit of reporting. For the record, I haven't ever been as busy as I have been for the past month. I pride myself in quiet, cozy schedules that focus around home routine and childcare. It's just been downright nuts lately.

Upon returning home from Buffalo I spent a few days getting my bearings back, and preparing for the next feat of events upcoming. Being about eight months pregnant has made the "bounce back" factor much slower than I'm used to. If I think about it, I've spent the entire time I've lived in Chicagoland battling the delayed return of energy and homeostasis since I was technically pregnant when we moved. I can only imagine what it will be like to not be pregnant in a few weeks... yipee!! Saturday afternoon we had wonderful friends stop and visit. We met the Spauldings in undergrad, Brad was one of Matt's groomsmen, Laura is a fellow nursing student. We're godparents to Adam and Hannah. It was a terrific visit. I'm amazed how some friendships seem timeless and deep, and some friendships, though closer in proximity and exposure, struggle to maintain relational depth and intensity. I was so encouraged and undergirded by their visit. They went to church with us Sunday morning and enjoyed Family Day. Brad said, "Hey, if I lived closer I'd love to come to your church!" Good words of encouragement for me.

Sunday afternoon we packed up and headed to West Michigan to meet our former small group friends from Buffalo. We stayed at my sister-in-law's huge country home that was only minutes from Lake Michigan. It was a great, but stunningly tiring, time. Six adults, five kids ages four and under. Two dogs (our former Newfoundland lives there), two kittens (read escape artists), about 10 chickens, a rooster, and a cage full of finches. A literal zoo. We enjoyed the gorgeous beach, white sand that squeaks when you walk on it, clear blue water. It was awesome, and a little scary for me. In my pediatrics rotation I cared for a baby who was drowned in the bathtub by her brother... I never thought about it again until I had a little boy and a little girl, and then it all came flooding back. I'm not necessarily trying to sound like the most neurotic mother you know, but it gives you a little context, I guess. I kept both eyes plastered on the kids at the beach. They did wonderfully. Lots of laughing and playing. We have a beach just up the road form us here in Lake County, and of course Izak asks for it constantly, even more so now. It was great to be in the same space with our dearest friends, though there wasn't a lot of time for heart-to-hearts. By the time we left the kids with sitters and went out for dinner Tuesday night we were all about asleep in our plates. It was hard to say goodbye, not knowing when we'll see each other again. My guess is it will be soon.

On our way out of West Michigan we stopped by and saw Aunt Suzy, the cousins, and G'ma G'pa Hilson. We navigated Chicago's traffic very well and got home in four hours. The kids have been so tired all day... but Izak INSISTS on potty-training himself. I've been practically discouraging him, but he runs to the bathroom and crawls up on the potty to do it anyway. For more information than you might want about our training adventures, feel free to click on my husband's blog link.

It's late. I'm tired. I'll talk to you all soon.

No comments: