Saturday, October 15, 2005

39 and 4

Last night Matt and I had another potential "last date for a very long time." We left the kids with a charming little sitter and headed to... Benihanas, of course. After dinner we stopped at Target for wipes and strawberries, and as we were strolling between home decor and ladies' clothing a funny thing happened. I've heard of the sciatica attacks that pregnant women get. A sudden pinching of the sciatic nerve that runs down either side of your lower back into the leg renders you immobile. Well, sure enough. I don't know if the baby dropped down into the pelvis (I assume it's coming down sunny side up), or what happened, but my right leg went from functional to collapsible in about 2 seconds. Matt's looking at me as I'm folding backwards into a human envelope saying, "Are you ok? What's happening?" I keep thinking it will get better with the next step as I'm sinking, sinking, slumping towards the floor, yelling, "Get me a stool or a chair." I'm still too proud to go into a heap at this point, and too shocked to believe I'm literally falling down in the middle of the store. (Might have asked for it because on my way in I thought I might be having a contraction, and Matt asked if we needed to stop. My comment was, "If it doesn't stop me in my tracks then it's not worth stopping for." Eh-hem.) Matt grabs a little ottoman and shoves it under my rear as I'm closing in on a landing. We're both belly-laughing. He's asking, "Is your water going to break? Because if it is, we're about to buy an ugly $70 foot stool! Here, get up and sit on this one for $29.99." People began staring, and I'm trying to pull it together. It was a funny event, full of physical humor which is my favorite kind, even if it was at my expense. We managed to limp through the rest of our trip and made it home. Last night was fraught with not-so-funny pain for most of the night... but still nothing to clock or time. It just hurt. But the laugh from earlier in the evening will go a long way in keeping me smirking.

My next OB appointment is today at 1:45p.

1 comment:

~cjoy said...

I know that had to hurt, but you had me laughing out loud!