Thursday, October 14, 2004

Home again

What a weekend! Let me start by saying that my back-up plan backfired in my face. LOL! I was able to get ahold of another antibiotic for Izak to treat his ear infection (cefzil) without calling my doc. Ahem. Well, after his second dose I noticed this strange rash all over his trunk... can you say drug allergy?!? So Friday morning I had to call my doctor back and tell them that I'd been a bad girl, using my conniving nursing powers for evil, not for good, begged forgiveness, and had to buy a second dose of Zithromycin. Daddy, me, and mint-chip ice cream helped get it down the boy without much incidence whatsoever. So everybody had drugs on board and this was good.

Flew to Chicago to spend some time with friends Saturday morning. This was a test of the tensile strength of my marriage. Typically I struggle to be easy-breezy with my babies when it comes to getting them out of their routine and surroundings. But the trip was booked and there was no backing out, even if they did have ear infections. My tendency would be to make Matthew pay for the stress I was undergoing on behalf of my children. I was only mildly grouchy with him as we were shuttling towards the airport. Getting through security was hard. Had to unload the kids from the double stroller and car seat, put everything through x-ray, and reload. Fortunately we got to use a short line for strollers and wheelchairs. No wait. It was groovy. The kids did great, minimal fussing. Dad did a fantastic job keeping the toddler amused (betcha didn't know he could change the toddler standing up in the little airplane toitey!). Both ways we were able to arrive at destination around naptime.

I struggle with flexibility. Have my routine. Like it. Keep it. Husband loves adventure, change, spontaneity. I try to accommodate him. But can I just say that after four days of adventuring, I'm ready to begin traveling in my usual orbit. I don't know if there's a correlation, but it makes me think about teachability ~ am I teachable? I had always thought I was open-minded, but then someone gave me a great tool by which to assess the reality. It's a simple question. "When's the last time you changed you mind about something?" If you haven't changed your mind, your position on something or someone, then chances are you're not teachable. And that is very unbecoming.

Lord, keep me soft and moldable. Teach me that real change is a gift from you. Change my mind, shift my routine, and draw me in closer to where you are.

1 comment:

sb said...

Love your heart! I'm so glad you guys made it back home ok. I'm finding lots of Libby's stuff. I'll be sending a package soon! Hugs all around! Sara