Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Grateful Patriot

Since my husband's a night owl, he had a chance to steal my blog before I could get it typed out. Rather than repeat it, I copied his reflections and pasted them. They are well put, and definitely something I wanted to share with you.
**************************************
Heidi and I went to Olive Garden for a date the other night. We were stuffed back in a corner, far from all the hubbub...perfect. As we were talking, I heard a little voice above the din. Glancing to my left, at the next table, I saw a little girl, probably about 7 years old, standing straight and looking directly into the eyes of the three Navy men who were all sitting quietly and looking back at her. She was singing to them in a soft and tender voice.

I couldn't make out all the words to the song, but above the noise of the room, I heard "You answered the call..." and "Thank you...Thank you...Thank you."

Her family was there to celebrate grandma's birthday. But this little girl had to sing a special song for these servicemen. Her mother explained to them that they have tried to teach her how special men and women have answered the call to serve their country in the military. She understood...and when she saw them, she just wanted to say, "Thank you..."

It's a moment that took be aback...difficult to put into words here. I was glad to have been invited into that moment by the tender voice of a little girl.

When she finished, the three of them all said, "You're welcome."
*************************************

When Matt pointed out the little singer, I immediately teared up. For me, it was a holy moment. Yes, my heart agreed with the little girl, thank you, thank you, though I'm too old and proud to say it myself. I am so grateful for your service.

As I have mentioned before, I'm deeply grateful to our service men and women for their dedication to our country. Among many things, I pray to raise children who respect the armed services. And as they grow older, a part of that teaching will include understanding that, though they may not be asked to, our men and women in uniform may choose to lay down their lives to protect us here on earth. It's then, I believe, a quick transition to being humbled and grateful to the One who served us by laying down His life for our ultimate freedom here, and also in the life to come.

No comments: