Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My Trench

Being a SAHM (stay at home mom) with three three and under lends itself to several words pictures. For example, most days I say that getting the kids in order feels like I'm herding cats. Certain times of the day feel like I'm being pecked to death by ducks. But most days I just refer to it as my life in the trench. In the morning I get up and put on my work clothes, grab my pick ax and jump in the ditch. On a normal day I just dig. If I'm digging at the right pace then I usually just keep my trench dug out. Some days I dig like crazy because the pressure is causing the sides to cave in. Other days I dig and bail water because of the storms. I don't mind my trench, it's familiar, it's busy , but it's mine.

Basic trench issues: Keeping the house in relative order, accommodating new changes to the schedule and taking into account the impact on each individual family member. Remembering the things that make each one sad, or happy, or content, and knowing when to employ the right one. Knowing when to lean on my husband, and when to draw up the bootstraps in order be leaned upon. Always remembering that only one adult at a time is allowed to be having a terrible day in his or her particular trench. Knowing where pretty much everything is located in the trench including the 9 bottles, 7 sippy cups, 4 pacifiers, and two blankies. Remembering when to pay the bills and balance the checkbook... Ah, home sweet trench.

Lately there have been special people who have come along and worked tirelessly alongside me. At this point in my life, when the workload is so intense and constant, I don't have a lot of time for folks who just want to stand up on the edge, look down in my trench and talk. Nor do I have time for people who want to sit around and tell me all about their trench. If you're going to take up time and space in my life, then for God's sake, grab that ax, get down here next to me and dig! DIG!!

A loving shout out to my fellow trench companions: Mom, Aunt Lo, Aud, Jenny, Bonnie, Anjee, Carrie P., Liz, Charlotte, Linda, Wanda, Rache, Jennifer G.. Your presence has made my time mothering and managing a heavy load much less lonely and much more joyful. Thank you.

3 comments:

justpassingby said...

touching post... and I oh, so identified with all that trench digging.

and I wanted to come in and say Happy Anniversary!!! I've noticed for a while now that JD's birthday happens to be your anniversary date! May the many years ahead be filled with lots of love, romance and the presence of God.

God bless ya! (and your family, of course!)

justpassingby said...

Hmm, just noticed it doesn't say what date i posted the comment. I shall officially say that the above comment and this one was posted on 19th November 2005 (although, if the truth be typed, it's already 20th Nov here in Singapore... and time I went to bed. LOL!)

Anne said...

"Knowing where pretty much everything is located in the trench including the 9 bottles, 7 sippy cups, 4 pacifiers, and two blankies."....This part was too funny! Loved the post. Though I have to say my trench really did look like a trench this week. All 3 of my kids had the stomach flu. So my trench included a mop and bucket, bowls to catch all the unmentionables, jello, Sprite, and popsicles. Not to mention a crying 3 year old little soldier who couldn't understand why he had to sacrifice his usual PBJ. So this sergeant went shopping today without the kids. Had to step out of the trench for a breath of fresh air. Phew.