Thursday, July 14, 2005

Silence

Sorry for the silence. Last week I was working hard at keeping the wheels on the household as Matt was away for some recuperation from Monday to Friday. Thankfully my best babysitter from Buffalo timed her trip out here for a visit to overlap with his absence, which was to only way I survived it. THANK YOU, RACHE!! It's cute, Rache (pronounced Ray-chee) is not her real name, it's Rachel. Nor has that ever been an acceptable nick-name either, she tells me, until our family adopted it for her. But it's the only name that folks here in Chicago refer to her by. "Where's Rache?" "Did Rache come out to visit?" She's a great sport.

Matt came home looking refreshed and a bit renewed. We'd had long discussions about how to best get a vacation this year, and concluded that 1) he needed it more since his job requires a clear head, and 2) he wasn't going to get it with the three of us in tow. So we split up. I'm weary in a way that even time on vacation will not correct. Pregnancy takes it's toll, that's for sure, especially 3 in 3 years. I feel like I can go a bit longer without absolutely frying...

Next week I enter my third trimester. Baby is kicking and turning, nausea is only a problem in the afternoon, and a little Zofran corrects it. My due date is October 18th, two days after Izak's third birthday. I bet I'll go end of September, early October.

Our neighbor has started driving his Harley motorcycle to work every morning. The problem is that when he starts it, Izak automatically wakes up. So rising times have been between 530 and 6a again. Poor kid. And yes, poor me! Most mornings he awakens so loudly that it's poor Bibby too. Alas... dear God, please bring snow! Liberty is down to one nap, and Z has mostly dropped his, which isn't a big deal when rising is at 7a. But when it's so early, we're all off a bit. Today he's finally napping, and was kind enough to coordinate it with Libby and myself. Just a few precious minutes of quiet. That's my vacation!

I've noticed a funny thing since moving and becoming pregnant. Probably at least five times, people find out about our third baby on the way and say gingerly, "Congratulations or condolences?" Why can't anyone fathom that this might be a very intentionally-timed spacing of children? Why do people assume it's a mistake? Can anyone else out there see how important it is for us to stabilize our household and get the whole pack moving forward by generating the next baby now rather than later? Being a nurse I specialize in caregiving, and having 3 3 and under really works with my strengths. Diaper changes, line 'em up and let's go. Lunchtime, lock them in their seat and let's start dishing. It's kind of like rounding on an assignment of patients on a hospital floor. Be organized, have a plan, and execute that plan to the best of your ability. There are precious few people who have been genuinely encouraging. For the most part people think we're nuts. But my little brood will be sleeping through the night together sooner, able to ride the rollercoaster rides sooner, be potty trained in a shorter span of time, and big enough to carry their own backpacks when we hike sooner. In essence, the Furrs get to fun times together sooner by packing the kids together. This has always been the plan, and I feel God has been directing in the plan since the beginning. Hard work? Of course. Any type of spacing is. But intentional? You bet.

I have a lot more thoughts about adding a third baby to our family. I'll share it another time.

Need to go roll the boy out before he naps the day away and parties all night... and then gets up early again.

Blessings.

3 comments:

Deb said...

My mom had five within six years, so it's certainly do-able. You're right, it's a busy time initially, AND it will be busy all the way through, with bunched up teens and budding drivers, then college (should the Lord tarry). But with your guidance and God's help, they will be close in more ways than age.

Chris & Bethy are 13.5 months apart, and were in school K-12 together, which was a major prayer matter. You may face something similar, BUT GOD will be there for every step. Great assurance!!

Enjoy your tiny treasures;they grow all too quickly... (sigh!)

Dawn said...

DOH! Wish I'd thought of spacing the tots closer together so that we can all get on my favorite roller coasters sooner!!! You are too smart. I'm jealous. And UG! A Harley neighbor?!! We have one here now - and I can't wait till we get moved and don't have those wonderful 5:30am wake up frights! SO RUDE IN MY OPINION!!! I know they are fun to ride - but so inconsiderate of everyone else that has to listen to you. Ug - Please no Harley's in our new neighborhood. Good to hear from you again - glad you survived Matt's vacation with some help!

justpassingby said...

Yes... people are funny when it comes to babies... some (like us) can't wait to have them all one after another... and others (like friends I know) who cry with every pregnancy. Oh well. JD would have been closer had it not been for the m/c and slight infertility that followed... but I so agree with what you said about being able to do stuff sooner! Yes, it's tough... but it's also great fun!