Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Family (Flu) Day

We had a wonderful weekend with our friends, the Musielaks from Buffalo. I cannot put into words how perfect the timing was. It dawned on me that, though I really like my new life here in Illinois, most of the time I still feel like a visitor. Strange.

We had a special day planned for Sunday afternoon with just the four adults. Dee Norlin, who is amazing with four under four, came over and watched the kids so we could go play. I'm so thankful for the great afternoon and evening we spent together. When we got home, all of the kids were sleeping, and Dee still looked cheerful and energetic. I don't think I've ever met anyone who is truly energized by children the way that she is. What a blessing. To her tribute, she had four babies under five, the last two being 11 months apart. (I'm kneeling and bowing right now. LOL)

Sunday at 11p Izak started with an unusual cry... oh, that's right, the flu cry. I didn't reconginize it. Monday morning Libby joined in. I was just worried about getting the Musielaks out before they got it. As of Tuesday, they're still all standing. At noon on Monday Matt went down the hardest and slept from noon until 6 a.m. the next day. So family day was composed of the BRAT diet, stinky carpets, and frequent diaper emergencies. I think I have washed every piece of fabric in the house, some twice.

When I'm pregnant, and spending much of the work week alone with the two little ones, I tend to take Matt's sicknesses personally. I don't mean to get angry with him, but darn it, I do. I can laugh at it a little today. I pull the weight all week and I expect some help for ONE day. I look forward to a real nap on Mondays, adult conversation and companionship. When he disappeared upstairs I knew it was bad. The #1 rule is, If you're sick then go to bed and get out of my way. (Did I mention I have mercy gifts? :) ) When he stumbled downstairs Tuesday, he looked pasty and beat. He said, "You know, I don't get sick just to piss you off." I had to laugh. I know, but it brings out the height of frustration in me. But in my defense, I did check on him several times while he was sick and sleeping in the guest room (The #2 sick rule is, Don't sleep in the most comfortable bed. You might contaminate it, and the caregiver of the home needs to be well-rested to care for everyone else.).

It's already Wednesday. The week's half gone. Heck, before I know it it'll be family day... again.

No comments: