Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Baby Number Three Update

Monday Matt and I went for our 13-week appointment. I love the fact that it's a priority to him to come with me to all my doctor visits. We met another doctor in the practice... I asked Matt on the way out if he thought she was even old enough to drive. We're probably the same age. She was a size zero, 4-foot-nothin' pleasant Asian woman with really tiny hands. The things you notice after two births.

It took a minute but she caught up with the zippy little baby in my belly... heartbeat 160. I laughed, "It's a girl!" And Matt said, "But you're sure it's a boy." I know the heartbeat thing has no scientific backing, but it was right with both of my previous babies (faster hr = girl, slower = boy). Mommy brain trumps nurse brain, observes my husband. So now I have no idea. I love the surprise at birth. "It's a ...... !" One of the few things that I am genuinely delighted to find out after the fact.

Of course, we have names picked out, and as much as I don't care what you may think of them, I'm not going to post them here. If we're good enough friends to talk outside of this forum, and you want to know, I'd be happy to tell you.

The insurance company has denied my request for a month of meds at a time, and is insisting that I get 20/$25. I'll continue to argue this because the main reason for denial was that my form was (for the SIXTH time) filled out incorrectly by the doctor's office staff. I have a copy of the form, I'm an RN, I'll do it myself and take it in to them. Overall, I'm really unimpressed with this medical group. I like the doctors, but their ancillary staff is fair to poor. The office manager who sits behind the glass as you walk in has never once smiled. Bad attitudes, lack, lack, lack of professionalism, shoddy attention to details, all except for this sweet CNA at the Gurnee office named Vickie. She has to be one of the sweetest, most thorough assistants I've met. I keep thinking, The office staff isn't going to deliver the baby. And it pales when compared to my midwifery practice in New York. But I adjusted my expectations downward for this third one as I am dealing with doctors and lackluster staff. I'd love to write a letter to the docs right now about my experience so far, but I know how the passive-aggressive thing can work in health care. I'm not suicidal! When it comes to the hospital, I understand that they only have private post-birth rooms. Cool, no roomies! I think I'll be lucky to get to the hospital with much time left before the baby comes.

The kids are waking up. Gotta run.

2 comments:

~cjoy said...

I recently found your blog and am enjoying it. :)

I must agree that the surprise in the delivery room is a wonderful treat. We 'waited' to find out with both our children and the delight was unspeakable...

Congratulations on the coming baby!

justpassingby said...

Heidi!!! I just saw your comment on my blog! Congratulations on Baby Three! Soon, you will join me in the ranks of busyness like you never knew before! LOL! God's blessings on you, your little bun and your family. I can't wait for October!