Monday, August 16, 2004

Recouping

Well, we're one week after the family's big visit for Libby's dedication. Saturday my mom, dad, and sister surprised me when they just showed up at the house!!! I was floored. Dad had made a snap decision on Thursday to try to make the trip, mom jumped into action to set up care for Grandma (96 years old and not a very good traveler), and they made it!! It was a blast to have my folks there too. I was completely unprepared for 7 visitors, let alone 10, but Dad dashed off to the grocery store the minute he got here and all was well.

We FEASTED for two days straight. Meals were bursting with choices ~ grilled chicken marinated in the local sauce of choice, Chiavetta's, burgers, fresh corn on the cob, hot dogs, munchies, fresh fruit from Michigan, homemade poppyseed cake (from scratch, an Old Country recipe from my gram), and lots of kosher pickles. I had an awesome time helping to serve my family and my family-in-law. It always surprises me how nicely our two families fit together. In one sense, it's like they've know each other a long, long time, longer than the 12 years matt and I have been together. Matt's dad was in the area of special education, and Matt's sister, Sarah, is a special ed. teacher, so they are all confortable with Stephanie. Matt's step-dad, Birt, was a music minister and I think that could've been my dad's second calling in life. The Bennetts are musical to the core. Both moms are RNs. Suzy has a flair for entertaining so effortlessly, and it seems like that's all we did while I was growing up ~ entertain tons of people. Even with the similarities, I think that the shared foundation of Christ and His work in our lives is the biggest common denominator. All of us know God personally, even the cousins, so we are , in essence, all brothers and sisters of the larger spiritual family.

Saturday and Sunday I was back on worship team, helping lead our 2000 member congregation in music. What a blast to stand up front and hear their voices blend in song. I am always blessed to look into the faces of the hundreds of folks, whose stories I've come to know and love, and watch them sing with all their might. Yes, this is their testimony! And see the hands lift up, especially when there's a particularly poignant line that has been a part of their specific journey. It's a gift. And while I'm leading I, too, am striving to communicate that these songs are my testimony as well, not just empty words. Each time I lead or solo, I take the time to meditate on, and own each song I sing. I believe that if you can't bear witness to the things you're singing, you shouldn't sing. That doesn't mean that if you're struggling with surrender, or contentment, or belief that you can't lead. But transparency and integrity means that you are wrestling to reconcile the words with your life. When I knew that God was calling me to have children, it was the act of owning the worship songs that said, "I give my whole life to you...I will follow you... I surrender.." that kept the proverbial thumb in my back to work towards whole-hearted obedience. And the peace that I had, especially while I was leading worship pregnant with Izak, I will never forget.

"What can I say, here in Your presence? I am undone, here in Your presence. You are God, I am Yours."

No comments: