Monday, November 12, 2007

New babies















Well, we've been so busy. Since I last blogged, the boys both turned 2 and 5. My mom (poor mom) and sister, Stef, brought the train out, but Mom ended up in the hospital to rule out a stroke (posterior bleed). The party did happen, and Mom was able to make the end of the celebration, which was a celebration in itself! A few weeks later, Matt's parent came out and took the kids trick or treating. One of the boys' gifts was a huge bag of costumes from Mrs. Clay... we put it to GREAT use (both on that day, and every day since)!


Izak's now using a digital wristwatch and a big boy bike - we may end up trying to get the training wheels off before snow. He's growing so quickly. Levi is fully into conversation and a little gear-head. He can't get enough of his cars. He has a special affinity for the little die cast "Cars" characters... truth told, I actually have quite an affinity for them as well. Our collection is almost complete! People were so kind that Libby genuinely believed that it was her birthday too, as she was flooded with gifts as well. She's also LOVING preschool. I'm sure of the genetic connection with my daughter as all day long she absent-mindedly sings and hums... and her favorite songs are "Jingle Bells" and "Frosty the Snowman"! My real friends know that I sing Christmas songs year-round. Why should she be any different? :) Such happy kids.

The other week I took my protestant kids to a local Catholic church to buy some of their honey. The church is located on a beautiful plot of land in the country, surrounded by hedges. It's cared for by the Handmaidens of the Precious Blood (quite the name!). We approached the tiny chapel that was formerly a house, looking for someone to unlock the little house that had the "Local Honey for Sale" sign in the window. Izak rang the door bell, but there was no answer. As we were pulling out, a nun came running from the back door in full habit, "I'm sorry! I was on the phone!". The bright white hat, burgundy robes with the necklace and the cord around the waist, all blowing in the fall breeze. My kids' eye widened, they'd never seen a nun before! "Sister, hello! We came for some honey!" We bounded out of the minivan as she loved all over the babies, "What beautiful children! Are they all yours?" Izak pulled me aside. "Why do you call her sister?" "That's her special name for the job that she does here. Everyone calls her 'sister.'" And then the kids began to chorus, "Sister, where's the honey?" "Sister, do you live here?" Sister, sister sister! We loaded back into the van and waved goodbye. As we drove around, Izak noticed all of the beautiful statues of Mary, Jesus, and other saints. There was a big, white statue of Jesus, arms spread wide with a big smile. Izak asked, "Mom, is that God?" "That's a statue of Jesus." Then, with fantastic five-year old enthusiasm he shouted, "Mom! We have GOT to get one of those!"

5 comments:

Donnetta said...

I can't believe how fast your children are growing!! And how absolutely precious they remain!! :-) :-)

Cute story about getting a statue like the church had. I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I find a good deal on one! *wink*

Give your wonderful family all love and hugs from me!!!

Love and miss you terribly friend,

Donut

Anonymous said...

Heidi, going there with my kids is one of my favorite memories. We made the rounds for the stations of the cross and of the statues, it was spring and the grounds were covered in flowers.

Glad you enjoyed it.

LLL

Pam said...

What a treat to see a new post from you in my Google Reader!! momrn2 is right . . . they all are growing so fast.

It's hard to believe I've "known" you since Levi was about a month old.

They are all so sweet.

Costumes . . . what a fabulous gift that is. Endless hours of fun.

I guess I'd feel right at home with you and Libby, humming my Christmas repertoire all throughout the year as I am often found doing. I LOVE Christmas music!!

Heidi, it was so good to see what God's doing in your family. Thanks for posting.

LaurenKM said...

Hi Heidi
Just missing you lately and now that I have my own 'puter - yeah 40th bday! - I can actualy read your blog and have my own email (that I check more than once a quarter.) The kids look beautiful, great costumes! How are you? Saw some of JenG recently which was a delight. Prayed for the boys on their bdays last month. Hope to hear from you soon :)

gobesthegirl said...

Everytime, Heidi Furr. I cry every time you blog. I miss my Furrs.