Saturday, August 05, 2006

Why?

Izak's favorite new conversational tool: "Why?"

(H) "Izak, please get ready to go for a ride. Get Blankie and your sandals."

(I) "Okay, Mommy. Why?"

(H) "Because we need to run errands before Levi gets sleepy.

(I) "Why?"

(H) "Because then he will need to take a nap."

You guessed it. (I) "Why?"

I'm trying to reject the "because I said so" response, though I can't promise it's not in my future. But Matt found the perfect closer. "Because I love you." And almost as a rule, when you answer him with that, he stops asking why.

Quieted by love. There is something timeless and universal in that, isn't there?

2 comments:

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Heidi-that was truly heartwarming and good advice for this stay-at-home mom. Think I'll try it as I've already resorted to the "because I said so" or "because I'm the mom"...etc., etc...!

Dawn said...

I like that! I've been trying to figure out a better answer to the Whys?