Friday, July 14, 2006

Awkward Silence

Ah, Jeannie, thank you. Yes, I'm still here. This past 30-some days has been a whirlwind. I'm a schedule-lightweight, so when things approach mild to moderate levels of chaos, I cut blogging. Truth be told, with the little ones pecking me to death like a pack of ducklings, I pretty much stop thinking coherent thoughts all together.

I struggle to articulate myself. This is hard, this mothering of three little ones. Many days I'm exhausted, wondering how I'll survive tomorrow. I flirt with the "Dear God, what have I done?!?!" thoughts lately. And the universe doesn't need another whiny blog, so I clam up. If we were in person you might not be getting much more than a blank stare either. Nothing witty. Nothing encouraging. I feel poured out.

I struggle with loneliness. Two of my closest friends are back in Buffalo. One has a newborn, the other will deliver within a month. And I'm here. I know they felt this way when Levi was born in Illinois. It just makes me sad. I'm working to connect myself with women. I'm not fast, but I'm very deliberate. (Points for intentionality.)

After Levi's dedication he was tested for allergies at Children's Hospital. Nagging eczema on the hands and face. Sure enough, he's allergic to dairy and egg. He was exclusively nursing (because it was easiest, and I suspected he might have some allergies), so since I'm unable to accommodate all the dietary changes for myself, I weaned him to a soy formula. His skin cleared up, but the process was rather fast. I don't feel well, probably some hormone stuff, but a little sad because it's over. We also just returned from a 10-day trip to West Michigan and Buffalo. 2,000 miles on the minivan. The kids were stellar. It was NOT easy, but the good (which was plentiful) outweighed the difficult (which was also plentiful). I'm still processing what being back in Buffalo meant to me, but remember the beginning of this blog... no complete thoughts to myself...

It's late. I hope to have time in the future. I feel bad that I have little to contribute, but know that I'm lurking in your worlds when I have a spare second.

In small group tonight we shared what people have said or done lately to encourage us... Last night I took care of a very, very sick woman in an ICU. She had two teenage/college age kids who I spent some extra time with, talking, getting to know them. Their dad, an awesome man, wandered out to the nurse's station before he left. "I wanted you to know that my kids approve of you." "Thank you! That means a lot." "And they said you look like Neve Campbell, whoever that is. Do you know her?" I blushed, "Yes, she's a very pretty actress. Thank you." And this wrung-out, slightly melancholy, weaning mother of three sat up a little bit taller. A good word goes a long ways, doesn't it?

Peace. I'll be back.

8 comments:

Donnetta said...

My dear, dear Heidi: Although you have been "silent" here... my prayers for you have not been silent!

I so very often think of you and lift you before the Lord only imagining what life is like for you right now!!

You can always know in your heart, that my heart is reaching upward on behalf of you dear friend!

Continued thoughts and prayers...

Donut

Armenio & Luska said...

Dear Hidinha,

I can totally sympathize!!! It was very hard for me when I had to wean our boys. But each stage in their lives is special, so enjoy, savor them all!!
This weekend we're moving to Georgia. Now... remember we had always wanted to live in California? Maybe that move will be next. LOL

Matt and Heidi said...

Dear wife...you are amazing. Though feeling wrung out, you courageously dig deep and serve our kids and me with a graceful strength that is real and profound. If I ever get a seat at the city gates, I will never stop speaking your praises. Until then, I'll just tell anyone who will listen!

Thank you for all you do.

sb said...

Heidi... you are a rockin mom and friend. I am thankful for you each day... even when I don't get a chance to verbalize it to you.

... and see? Neve Campbell! She should be so lucky that people tell her she looks like Heidi Furr!! There's a true compliment!

xo,
SB

~cjoy said...

Oh Heidi,
I am almost in tears hurting for you. What a hard place to be in. I will be praying, and I will email you this week.
cjoy

Pam said...

Bless your precious heart, dear friend. I have walked those same miles in your moccasins, and I am here to look back on that time with great joy and mingled sorrow. You have my prayers as I lift you before our Lord. I pray He will strengthen you and uphold you during this physically taxing season of your life.

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Heidi- the world would truly be a better place if we were all willing to be so open and honest. Know that you aren't the only mom who struggles and asks God "What have I done?!!?" Our kids are such a gift, but sometimes it's just overwhelming! I'll be praying for your loneliness, for you to find some true sisters! BTW- I totally agree, you do resemble Neve Campbell!

Jeannie said...

Oh, ain't that the truth? I think it was Mark Twain who said, "I could live on a good compliment for a month." I think it's more like a year for us ladies, too.

I am so hearing you about loneliness. I am surrounded by these little people all day but I am terribly lonely. I know part of it is being in this new place, but man, it's hard.

I hope you never feel you have to put anything witty or "blog-worthy" here, whatever that is. Just bring your heart, babe. Whine, cry, vent - bring it! :)
love ya,
jeannie
p.s. a herd of cats, a pack of ducklings - i love your illustrations, so TRUE