Sunday, March 12, 2006

What's a Grit?

The two visitors look at the plate, and the guy says, "What's a grit?" As he takes a bite, his girlfriend takes a picture of him.

Does the scene sound familiar? From one of my favorite movies. I will not go into which one, as my mother reads my blog and would certainly not be amused.

Anyway, the other day I had grits for breakfast for the very first time. They were good!

I'm a northern girl, raised in mid-Michigan. The most south I've ever lived has been mid-Indiana (Marion, to be exact). It was too hot for me. That being said, I was reminded what a wonderfully different culture Indiana is as I drove through it's heartland on my way to last week's funeral. Big sprawling farms. Tiny little towns. Lots of stores that contain the word "Gramma". Acres of fields. Tire swings made out of real tires with long ropes tied up in 300-year old trees. People write their family names in colored shingles on the roof of the barns, and you can read it for miles. Some people live a good mile from their nearest neighbor (that must be awesome! writes the intorvert). Farm equipment as big as my suburban home. It was a really peaceful change. There was a quietness there that I coveted.

I stayed with my adopted mom and dad from college. In the morning my mom made me a gia-normous breakfast, which included grits! How fun! And good... I used butter, salt and pepper as she recommended.

Mom and Dad F. said they would be up to the windy city this summer for some Furrbaby lovin.' So last night, I bought a container of grits (all that was available was instant).

Dear Southern readers - what are your secrets for making good grits?

4 comments:

sb said...

As only an adopted southerner, I too have only recently become aquainted with grits. My grandmother-in-law has a really good recipe for fried grits (think grit pankcake)... it's really good, it's the only way I can really stomach them actually...I like mine with butter and brown sugar.

Heidi said...

How do I cook them? Do I follow the "boil in water with a little salt" directions on the can?

sb said...

Not real sure... I'm such a yankee... closest thing to grits I can make is instant cream of wheat! :) I'm having KP get the recipe for you while he's in Kentucky.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi!

Lynn-nore Chittom here -- GCTS women's bible study - collectively 5 kids ago! Our little ones are turning 6 in May and 1 in July. Kara and Caleb. Thom found your blog yesterday and I thought -- I will say hi as soon as Caleb is down for his morning nap!! Despite the fact that we never kept in touch, I think of you often- your stories of hospice care and Matt's mid-winter grilling is legendary! We just moved to Nashville in December. check out our blog at pointsend.blogspot.com Drop me a line chittoms@intergate.com Good to catch up!