Thursday, June 24, 2004

What's in a name

Matt and I were very intentional about the names we gave our children. In light of what I have shared about mothering, the names needed to have deep and abiding meaning.

Izak is the Czech spelling for the biblical name Isaac. My great grandfather on my mom's side was Isaac Bond. He fathered 16 children, 8 boys, 8 girls. The original Isaac of the Bible was the son of the hundred-year-old couple, Sarah and Abraham. The name means laughter because when Sarah found out she was pregnant, she cracked up laughing in disbelief. I can identify with her, but the primary reason I love the name is that it flies in the face of sobriety. It brings you joy. And mothering in the presence of joy is a gift...

Liberty means freedom. And I want to teach my daughter as early as possible about real liberation from the bondage of sin. Maybe someday I will have the opportunity to share with her how God used motherhood to change the course of my life and set me free. Secondly, I do love my country and am very patriotic ~ I hope she will also have a deep respect for America, and for the service men and women who have sacrificed so that she can be free. It could be argued that America is not what it should be, that it is no longer the country looking to God, blah, blah, blah. I am thankful to be here vs. other countries in the world. I am thankful that my children have been born here vs. other countries in the world. It is one of God's immediate blessings on my home. Mothering in an atmosphere of freedom is also a gift...

It's late, my brain is mush, and Liberty is bright-eyed and bushy tailed. *sigh*

No comments: